homeless

homeless

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Hunger Banquet

I arrived at the Hunger Banquet with somewhat of an idea of what to expect, however, I was not aware of the reality of the experience. The random choosing of individuals in low class, middle class, and high class created an interesting and unbiased environment. I handpicked a piece of paper out of a small cup that read "Lower" and I immediately knew it was going to be an interesting day. As I walked into the room to join the lower class students on the floor, the first thing that caught my eye was those seated at the high class table and the delicious food that was laid out for all to see. I then noticed the abundance of lower class individuals and could not help but think about the reality of this situation, as I listen to my stomach grumbling from hunger staring at the fresh salad and shiny silverware on the high-class table in front of us. Embarrassment hit me when I caught the eye of a student seated at the high-class table, catching the hunger in my stare. However, as their waiter began to serve their full course meals I found myself shamelessly glaring at them with envy and in a somewhat angry manner, while I sip on my bland greasy broth.

I learned that poverty is more than the definition of poor and underprivileged. Although I was aware that it was merely a demonstration, the feeling of weakness and helplessness was difficult to ignore. I honestly began to understand the desperation of panhandling and stealing to survive. Furthermore, the reality in this exercise is addressed when video and statistics were presented to us revealing that the annual income worldwide is about $12,000. This opened my eyes to the incredible difference of what we consider to be poor in America and how we should appreciate what we have. Some people do not even have the option of hot broth to eat, let alone anything at all. Their demonstration of moving people around from one class to another revealed the ease of falling into poverty in one missed paycheck. Someone also explained Mark Robert Rank’s idea that poverty is a form of musical chairs in which the system is designed where someone is destined to fall into a life of poverty. My only hope is that others have also walked away with the same understanding and knowledge that I have had the pleasure of learning throughout this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment